Last post on May 03, 2013 at 1:26 PM
You are in the Nissan Maxima
What is this discussion about?
Nissan Maxima, Sedan
Go to NHTSA to file a safety complaint.
Or call Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm ET) (888) 327-4236 TTY: (800)424-9153
#4170 of 4180 Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima SE $2865 repair surprise [dx1hf]
Jan 13, 2013 (10:09 am)
I have the same problem with my 2001 maxima , can u tell me more on ur car and if it still is fixed , where is bank 1 oxygen sensors at ? They also told me it was the cat converters !
#4171 of 4180 Nissan Maxima Maintenance
Jan 24, 2013 (11:24 am)
I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima that will not stay running in the cold weather. Whenever it gets below about 40 degrees outside I can start it up just fine, but then it will immediately die out after a few seconds. If I push on the gas pedal it will stay running and once the car warms up it will stay running. I have tried a few different things but nothing seems to work. It still won't stay running in the cold...and it sucks not being able to warm up your car in the morning. Any thoughts or suggestions?
#4172 of 4180 Re: Nissan Maxima Maintenance [jcate]
by Mr_Shiftright HOST
Jan 24, 2013 (9:12 pm)
maybe a coolant temperature sensor?
#4173 of 4180 '01 Maxima -- time to go?
Feb 07, 2013 (9:53 am)
I have an '01 Maxima that we have loved dearly. It has 132,000 miles on it. Up until last year, it required very little in the way of repairs -- just the things you would expect from a 10+ year old car. But in the last year it has had one repair after another. The latest diagnosis, after the check engine, tcs and slip lights came on intermittently and it would jerk and run rough, is that the coils need replacing. I have seen that this car is said to have problems with coils, but that hasn't been the case for us -- these are the original coils. It is an expensive repair though. Is it time to think about looking for a new car? I'm essentially paying around $170/month for the last 6 months (and now at least 3 months in the future) for repair bills. After each one I tell myself that now it will run fine for some time, but doubt is creeping in.
#4174 of 4180 Re: '01 Maxima -- time to go? [suydam]
by Mr_Shiftright HOST
Feb 07, 2013 (11:03 am)
are you quite satisfied with your repair shop or have they guessed wrong in the past--you know "It's this...no wait...it WAS that but it's ALSO this now"...that kind of thing?
There are two coils, about $100 each. These can be pulled and tested however, prior to replacing. Well the resistance can be tested.
Also a coil can go bad because of bad connectors or spark plugs--these kinds of excessive resistance can damage the coils internally.
How was it determined that the coils were bad? If all they did was scan and got a P0300 code, that's not enough. That's just a misfire code.
#4175 of 4180 Re: '01 Maxima -- time to go? [Mr_Shiftright]
Feb 07, 2013 (11:50 am)
No, they are generally right. They did say that on this model you can't tell which particular coil is bad. Spark plugs were replaced 6 months ago so it can't be them.
They are not a shop that gouges people and I think they are figuring that after 12 years if one coil is still fine it probably won't be for very long anyway. There are 6 coils.
The other things have been fairly straightforward. A broken radiator fan. Alternator. Starter. Battery (the big 3 of electrical problems). It's just the never-endingness of it all that is starting to get to me. Plus with two of them, we had just come back from a long trip. I keep thinking, what if it had conked out on some godforsaken highway. I've always felt this was a very dependable car. I'm just wondering if that's still the case.
#4176 of 4180 Re: '01 Maxima -- time to go? [suydam]
by Mr_Shiftright HOST
Feb 07, 2013 (12:32 pm)
Well it all sounds like normal wear and tear--you'd probably experience similar repairs on a Mercedes Benz or BMW.
Given that a modern car has a predictable (statistical) lifespan of say 175K to 225K, and that you are already in the second half of that life span (which is generally, not the best half---same as people! ), then you have to weigh the expected costs of upkeep against new car payments.
The car may settle down, but it'll always be something on an old car. I'm sure a new Maxima would cost you easily 2X as much per month, or more.
#4177 of 4180 Re: '01 Maxima -- time to go? [suydam]
Feb 08, 2013 (9:21 am)
hmmm, I have an '01 Maxima too, with 123,000 miles. While I have had some repairs over the past year, nothing major or too costly. I was having similar thoughts about getting a new car. It's a hard call whether to get a new car or not. I'd give myself a deadline of say three months more, and then if the problem still persists, perhaps it is time. Also, I understand because I would say well, I've already put this amount of money into it surely all the car's issues must have been fixed by now! Let us know what you end up doing! Good luck, I must admit, I have really loved my car and would not like to get rid of it either.
#4178 of 4180 Re: '01 Maxima -- time to go? [lauren15]
Feb 15, 2013 (9:48 am)
We decided to go ahead and get it repaired this time. But we're going to start looking at new cars so if something else goes wrong we'll have an idea at least of what we want. I think we're at the "one more thing" stage and then it will be time to move on.
#4179 of 4180 1999 Maxima Stalling
May 03, 2013 (11:29 am)
I bought this car in 2001 with 26k, 12 years later I have 147k miles and have had no major issues until now. All of a sudden the car is stalling while in gear sitting at a stop sign/light. If I put it into neutral while at a stop it does not stall. Dealer has looked at it several times, I have replaced the Mass Air Flow Meter; EGR valve, complete fuel injector/system clean out, etc. The check engine light does not come on and no codes register when they run diagnostic. Took it to Firestone for a different set of eyes, they checked every sensor and claim they found no problems. I am at a complete loss, no one seems to be able to figure this one out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I absolutely adore this car and do not want to sell/trade it. Would really like to figure this out before I have to make that decision.