Last post on Jan 06, 2013 at 9:24 PM
You are in the Mazda Millenia
What is this discussion about?
Mazda Millenia, Sedan
#3514 of 4030 Transmission Leak
Nov 06, 2005 (9:05 pm)
I own a 2002 Millenia with roughly 52,000 miles. Last Saturday, October 30, I took the car to my local shop for a routine oil change. While there, the mechanic notified and showed me that the transmission was leaking slightly. He checked the current level and condition of the fluid via, the dipstick. He said it was not a major problem, no rush to fix it, but I should bring it back within the week. A week has passed and I didn't take the car back to the local shop. Driving back to campus today, Sunday, November 6, I noticed the Check Engine Light was on. Before I waste time and schedule an appointment with an "Authorized Mazda Dealer" could this warning light be because of the transmission leak?
Nov 08, 2005 (7:21 pm)
Personally i think the problem happens in hot humid areas with lots of hills. What type of gas do you guys use? The check light came on here to when i used regular. I got it serviced and it went off. It also happened with priemum. Currently i use plus and all is fine . (99 with 150k miles)
#3518 of 4030 Re: Considering buying Millenia
Nov 09, 2005 (1:49 pm)
I am considering buying a 2002 millenia with 18,000 miles. Are there any trouble areas or special concerns that I should have? Am I better off with the "S" edition? I heard that this engine should be avoided. Is this true? What are the actual MPG have you gotten with this car.
#3519 of 4030 Re: 95 Millenia stalling and shutting off [jahmikes]
Nov 09, 2005 (2:40 pm)
my millenia stall engine driveway,idle...afther 1 min or 3 min if restart I change (distributeur,coil,filtre gaz,sonde temperature, clean injector,change sparkplug....I cannot any more what make help me!
excuse me my english
#3520 of 4030 Re: Whole lotta shakin' goin' on [steevo2]
Nov 09, 2005 (10:45 pm)
Steevo2 I just bought a 1999 Mazda Millenia S that from day one is shaking. While still under warranty the dealer has looked at it and found an axle cracked (told originally) but replaced the CV boot???? It normally shakes in the morning and settles down before I hit work even after the replacement. Have you found out what caused your shake?
#3522 of 4030 Re: Considering buying Millenia [osteodoc]
Nov 10, 2005 (12:06 pm)
if the non-s has 18,000 miles on it go with that, only get the S if it has very low miles, or if it has the service records of everything done to it i.e routine service ect, you dont want the S if it hasnt been pretty much babied
#3523 of 4030 various issues and questions about '98 Millenia S
Nov 12, 2005 (4:26 pm)
I recently purchased a '98 S with 70k. I purchased it from an individual who had purchased it as a certified pre-owned at 28k. The car seemed to run good and he had pretty extensive maintenace records, so I felt pretty good about the purchase. After purchasing the care I checked this forum (other resources appear to be sparse) to see what potential issues could arrise. I started getting a little nervous about all the CEL issues folks were having. I have not had a CEL occurence yet, but I have only put about 300 miles on the car. The previous owner did have both catalysts and at least one O2 sensor replaced at 60k. I assume this would have been prompted by CEL issues.
After reading about the issues with oil seeping into the plug wells, I decided to check mine. Boy what a job that is, especially on the rear bank!!! Luckily, only one of the wells had any accumulated oil and it was on the front. I figure I can just drain it out and clean it every once in a while as opposed to replacing the valve cover gaskets.
In the week that I have been driving the car, I have found the following problems:
1. The in-dash CD player does not work. Initially, I thought this was no big deal because I also have the changer. The problem is that the in-dash keeps spitting out the CD, which to the best of my knowledge leaves the changer inoperable also. Also, I have noticed that when the vehicle interior is cold that the radio keeps beeping like someone is holding in one of the numbered buttons to program a radio station.
2. I get a little bit of hesitation under light throttle cruise or acceleration. The car seems to stutter a bit and if I give it more pedal while it is doing this there is a delay before it starts to accelerate. If I jump on the throttle from idle the car pulls nicely and runs smoothly.
3. This is the most worrysome. My fuel economy appears to be very poor. I have put mostly highway miles on the car and I can litterly watch the gage drop as I commute to work and back. I haven't quite run through my first full tank, but I am estimating that I will get less than 250 out of it. Unless the fuel gage in this vehicle is not very linear, then I am afraid that my consumption is excessive. I have not been running the car very hard, so I would anticipate decent fuel economy. I guess I won't know for sure until I run a couple of tanks through it.
If anyone has experience with any of these issues, please reply with suggestions, especially the FE issue. My best guess for the FE issue was a boost pressure or mass airflow sensor. Since I haven't had any CELs I can't tell for sure. I thought maybe I would replace them both and see if the mileage improved, but once I checked the prices I thought no way. Wow, expensive! I guess that's what I get for buying the only production miller cycle engine in the US.
I have the following questions:
1. I notice a hiss under the hood while the car is idling. It sounds like an air leak. I don't know if the car has some sort of pressure relief valve for the supercharge or not. Is this hiss normal, or do I have an air leak?
2. Does anyone have experience with the Chilton manual for this car? I was considering purchasing it, but it includes several Mazda models so I wonder how good the detail for the 2.3 engine is. Should I buy it or just spend the extra money to get the shop manuals.
3. Is anyone aware of other online resources for the miller cycle engine? I have done a couple of google searches and have come up mostly empty. I used to own a '91 Sentra SE-R and the online enthusiast resources for it were outstanding. This doesn't seem to be the case for the Millenia S.
Thanks in advance for any info. Sorry for the lengthy post.