Last post on Jan 06, 2013 at 9:24 PM
You are in the Mazda Millenia
What is this discussion about?
Mazda Millenia, Sedan
#1104 of 4030 95 S hits 100K
Jan 02, 2002 (12:47 am)
I have owned my 95 Millenia S for quite some time now. It is in wonderful condition and drives very smoothly. A few days ago, I hit 100k miles. I was wondering if any experienced car (millenia) owners can tell me what kind of servicing to get done.
Several side notes:
1. I am very pleased with the car overall. I get about 18-19 mpg in the city (which is low, but I expected it from a 1995 Japanese designed car, which is heavy...the 1996-2001 folks should get better mileage, because once Ford bought Mazda, it lightened the car to increase gas mileage and decrease cost).
2. My antenna broke. The motor still made a noise so i figured I just needed a new antenna. I waited about a week and when I bought a new antenna, the motor doesn't make any noise anymore. Any suggesstions? The antenna cost $25, but a motor costs several hundred.
3. I use Synthetic oil and get an oil change about every 7500-8000 miles as recommended by several mechanic friends. The car runs great on this plan, and I take it to a oil change specialist rather than our typically untrustworthy Mazda dealership (Auburn, AL).
4. I wanted to get plasma/white lights for my millenia (consider it a 100k present for the car...) but can't really find ones that are trustable to last and fit the car. Can someone point me in the direction? Possibly item numbers and where to buy? Thanks.
5. The only *major problem* my car has is some white smoke coming out from the tailpipe when I start the car. Possibly caused by a small oil leak in the supercharger...i'm not sure and most mechanics shudder at the thought of looking into a millenia. so...can anyone else offer insight?
#1105 of 4030 Smoke out of the tail pipe
Jan 02, 2002 (4:59 am)
99 S, I also have smoke comes out of the tail pipe at start up that would last for aonly about 5-10 seconds then it disappear, this only occur if I let the car sit for a few days between start up,and specially on cold days, the smoke has a grey tint to it and it smells funny (I know its not vapor).
My dealer is telling me that this is normal for cars with super chargers.
Is my dealer pulling my leg or is he telling me the truth?
#1106 of 4030 9sunset, mpg, and new Millenia
Jan 02, 2002 (12:22 pm)
I agree with tomekk on cross rotating the tires in order to solve your problem. I had the same problem (Dunlops SP4000) with my 99 S. The dealer performed two alignments, with no improvements. One of the tires had a radial pull, which when replaced, fixed the problem. If after you rotate the tires, the pull goes away, or pulls in the other direction, you have a tire problem This will be covered under your tire warrenty. You will have to go to a tire store for the new tire. The tricky part is figuring out which tire is bad. They should be able to do this.
As far as mileage goes, I get about 21 mpg in mixed city/hwy hard driving. It doesn't seem to matter how hard I drive it, it always comes out to about the same.
I also had an 02 non-S rental over the holidays. What a difference in the ride and interior! Much better. I still think the 95-00 model's exterior looks better.
Jan 02, 2002 (2:46 pm)
Happy New Year everyone.
Congratulations for your first 100k miles. My 95 S just completed 77k km (48k miles) with multiple problems including a complete auto-transmission overhaul. It it difficult to guess what type of preventive maintenance you require without seeing the total maintenance log. However,If you have driven it so far without replacing the timing chain, you should consider doing so asap.
I tried many super white beams, the ones I settled for are : Philips Vision Plus, procured from fosmo.com in UK. I installed them as replacement to the OEM bulbs on my MB E320W last winter. My MAZDA dealer replaced the MilleniaS OEM bulbs with Eurovision Xenon white which also are satisfactory.
#1108 of 4030 2001 Millenia S pulling to right
Jan 02, 2002 (2:51 pm)
Thank you for your inputs (rbrubaker and Tomekk),
I am taking my car for an alignment check tomorrow. Alignment was done 2 weeks ago, it's a
lot better but still pulling to the right (if you remove
your hands away from the steering it will start
pulling). But sometimes I feel I couldn't drive this car straight, wonder why? ie. I will have to struggle to keep the car straight.
Tomekk, how do you get excellent pick-up for this car, can you share with us? I will try to get them cross rotate the front tires tomorrow.
#1109 of 4030 9sunset, how do you get excellent pick-up for this car
Jan 02, 2002 (6:04 pm)
I just talk to it with the throttle...
The transmission does seem to learn and adjusts shift point accordingly to your driving style. I drive pretty dynamically, so it learned to let the engine rev a little higher. I also think that it reacts not only to how far, but also how fast you depress the accelerator. When I step on it, I step on it quickly, and I am not afraid to rev it to 6000 RPM. It truly pulls best from 3500 rpm or so, where the torque peak is.
One more thing: if you don't step on it quickly, it will be reluctant do drop down to first when necessary, so you can be caught flat footed.
9sunset, experiment and try to feel the car and make the transmission do what it should. This engine does have 210bhp and 210 ft lb of torque and can really pull... I wish I could get this car with a stickshift.
P.S. I have to admit, recently I've been really flooring it, just can't resist.
Jan 02, 2002 (6:11 pm)
I thought Millenia S had timing belt, not chain.
I know it should be replaced at 60K miles, but it is a non-interference engine (like the old Fiats ha ha), so you can take your chanes - the worst case you'll get stranded when the belt brakes. On the other hand I remember somebody on this forum talking about the fact that Millenias sold in CA had 90K miles interval for belt changes (because of some CA warranty-related regulation or something like that).
#1112 of 4030 9sunset (repost, now self censored not to upset our most sensitive Thought Police)
Jan 02, 2002 (6:47 pm)
swap the front two tires, make sure your tire pressure is even 34psi front, 32 psi back, go to a different dealer, also try an independent tire & alignment specialist. Your dealer is giving you cattle excrement. The previous sentence self-censored, I hope words "cattle" and "excrement" are not offending anybody
My '01 S still tracks perfectly straight and has awesome pickup. The only thing I miss (except when stock in Boston traffic) is stickshift...
#1113 of 4030 I'm done posting now :-) EOM
Jan 02, 2002 (6:49 pm)