Last post on Apr 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
You are in the Dodge/Plymouth Neon
What is this discussion about?
Dodge Neon, Plymouth Neon, Sedan
#1246 of 1772 Re: 1997 Plymouth Neon Service Engine Light [rick15]
Apr 26, 2005 (9:47 am)
Put your key in the ignition and turn it 5 times like you were going to start it 5 times but don't let it start. The check engine light will do a series of flashes and those flashes can be found in the repair manual as to what is wrong with your car. The O2 sensor is cheap money. I believe I paid $150 at the dealer to get mine done on my 95 when I had it. Also, Autozone can check your engine light problem for free. Once the O2 sensor is replaced, the check engine light should go out. If it annoys you then remove your negative cable on your battery for 5 minutes and put it back on and you will find your check engine light out. This is a temporary solution until you get the new sensor. -Rick
#1247 of 1772 Re: 95 Neon, problems with starting & fuel gauge [chessall]
Apr 27, 2005 (11:54 am)
on the starting problem , i have a 95 plymouth neon and i am having the same problem but mine is because of the wire that runs from the internal fuse box to the positive battery terminal has a bad conection. try replacing it or rigging it to fit better.i also have the fuel gauge problem as well as a speedometer. i could use some help too
#1248 of 1772 Re: neon 2000 problems [shymerm8]
Apr 27, 2005 (3:10 pm)
Sounds a lot like a head gasket. Neons were famous for blown head gaskets from 1995 to 1999 but perhaps your Neon got an old one dur to a late build on the engine. It's worth a look anyway.
#1249 of 1772 Re: wiring problem? [theatregirl]
Apr 27, 2005 (4:38 pm)
Well said, I totally understood what you said without car technical terms lol. I am going to have to look into that door thing cause like you I am about insane due to the noise it makes. Today was a horrible day for the noise too I was ready to jump out of the car lol with it still in drive and just let it go. Thanks for the tip I will be trying that
#1250 of 1772 I have no spark?
Apr 28, 2005 (6:04 am)
I just completed wiring up the push button start on my drag Neon and decided to crank it up for the first time. The engine turns over and has fuel but I have no spark. The whole key ignition is gone but I still have a few wires. Does anyone know what wire or wires were getting power for spark when the key ignition was turned on?
#1251 of 1772 1997 2.0L - repair exploded spark plug
Apr 28, 2005 (12:19 pm)
I was driving my girlfriends 1997 neon on the highway when the spark plug on the 4th cylinder blew. I had it taken to a shop to be repaired. The shop told me that the porcelain part exploded and the other end was still threaded in the socket. He replaced all the plugs and installed a new ignition wire system. He couldn't find any pieces of the exploded spark plug and thinks they may be in the cylinder.
I have driven the car on the highway 3 separate times now and it seems to drive ok although there was a little engine noise but that seems to have gone away now. The problem now is that the car does not start well. I have to press the gas pedal a bit when starting the car or it stalls. this was not a problem before. I expect there are still pieces of the spark plug in the cylinder. could they be blocking the fuel coming into the cylinder and causing the stalling problem? What other hazards are there about not knowing where the exploded parts of the spark plug are? the car has 119,000 miles so i don't think she wants to invest much money into the vehicle.
any input is welcome.
#1252 of 1772 Re: 1997 2.0L - repair exploded spark plug [adamel111]
Apr 28, 2005 (12:33 pm)
I can't imagine that the porcelain part of the plug is in your cylinder. Double check the plugs, gaps on them and also check your wires. Make sure they are all connected. It is possible that your coil pack is gone because of the explosion. Cheap fix if you search eBay for a coil pack. I installed new plugs, new wires, and new air filter and not knowing that one of the wires was broken internally and after replacing them with factory (Mopar) wires, the car runs tops. Also, make sure your plugs are Champions.
#1253 of 1772 Re: 1997 2.0L - repair exploded spark plug [arcadefreak36]
Apr 28, 2005 (12:53 pm)
The shop installed all new plugs and wires (ended up being about a $100). The plugs are champions. I haven't checked the gaps and wires since they were just installed by a shop.
Any guess as to why the car is having difficulty starting and stalls? If the porcelain exploded into small enough pieces couldn't it get into the cylinder?
#1254 of 1772 Re: 1997 2.0L - repair exploded spark plug [adamel111]
Apr 28, 2005 (3:17 pm)
The porcelain on the sparkplug is all above the threaded part that goes into the cylinder. Most likely there was a defect in the porcelain, it got hot, and popped. The engine itself has "explosions" all the time - the combustion - much stronger than the ceramic popping. Unless the mechanic let the pieces fall into the chamber, nothing is in there - assuming the "pipe" that covers the spark plug below the valve cover wasn't punctured. It all depends on how your mechanic removed the plug. Did he "vacuum" it first? Did he have to replace the tube over the plug up to the valve cover?
#1255 of 1772 Re: neon 2000 problems [farout]
Apr 30, 2005 (4:01 am)
Thank you for the heads up. I will keep the gasket thing in mind. I was pretty mad though when my car was over heating and they said it was my radiator and so they checked it and said it was al right after all. So they flushed the radiator thinking their might be a clog some where. Then when I went to pick up my car I got a nice radiator flush bill and no solution to my problem other than it might be my gasket and those are expensive the guy said. So yeah took it to another place they said it was my radiator cap and wanted to charge me 45 dollars worth of labor to put the cap on. I mean how hard is it to put one on ?? I'm not that retarded so I put a new one on myself and it kept overheating. So then we went back to the place 2 weeks later to tell them the car was still overheating and we put a new cap on because they said that was my problem and told them that they should take the car back and retest it for free. The guy was a total jerk and said they could not because they were not the ones that put it on so it could have been put on wrong I laughed and walked out and told them I would never do business with them again. So any ways so I picked up a thermostat because my friend that works on dodges said that might be my problem. So I had a family friend who works on cars install a thermostat and my upper and lower motor mounts for $ 115.00 and the dealership wanted to charge us 425.00 for the same stuff lol. The car is working good again so far no overheating our thermostat was yucky so I'm sure that was the problem. However it went to two different car places even a chrysler dealer and why could they no see it was my thermostat ??? Now I will see how long it will run without breaking down again I hope not in 3 months like it always does.