Last post on Apr 28, 2007 at 11:40 AM
You are in the BMW 5-Series
What is this discussion about?
BMW 5 Series, Wagon
#290 of 292 Re: '99 528IT Warranty/Potential Purchase [tofor67]
Sep 29, 2006 (12:57 pm)
Here's a few issues to look out for:
* Loss of power or torque. Solution: replace cam sensor, $250 fix.
* Coolant loss. Solution: possible complete radiator replacement, $450 fix.
* Rear tailgate lock failure. Solution: change fuses in the rear panel above battery or possible tailgate lock mechanism replacement, $300 fix.
* Auto leveling failure. Solution: Complete auto level mechanism replacement, $1500 fix.
* Rear cup holder replacement, $40 fix.
#291 of 292 535xiT sighting...
Apr 25, 2007 (8:28 am)
On my way home yesterday I was taking in the sights of an E60 Sport Wagon slowly passing me. While I'm not much of a fan of wagons in general, I do find the wagon version of the E60 to be more attractive than the sedan, and this one was done up in Sapphire Black, making it very good looking in my eyes. Then it got far enough in front of me for me to make out the model designation. "Hmmm, nice." I thought as I read "535xi" off the rear tailgate.
#292 of 292 Buying used wagons - BMW 525 vs. VW Passat
Apr 28, 2007 (11:40 am)
I'm debating between buying a used Passat and a used BMW wagon in the $9-13K range.
I am only considering manual transmission cars, and have found quite a few specimens online, all with clean CarFax reports. Unfortunately, they all seem to be located too far for me to test-drive each particular one, unless I'm 99% certain I want to buy that vehicle.
Do any of you have any words of wisdom with regard to the reliability, maintenance costs, insurance, etc?. (For instance, a 2003 VW 60K vs. 2001 BMW 100K - any thoughts?)