Last post on Oct 17, 2006 at 7:05 AM
You are in the Honda Civic
What is this discussion about?
Honda Civic, Honda Civic del Sol, Honda Civic CRX, Coupe, Hatchback, Sedan
#4224 of 5207 Re: 1999 Honda Civic - 103K miles - Electrical Burning Smell, et al. [ejc1999civic]
Sep 12, 2005 (12:34 pm)
I also have a 1999 Honda Civic EX with 56K miles. I have the same electrical problem you described. In fact at one point, smoke started coming out of the steering wheel column, that's when I brought the car in to the dealership. They tell me it's because I have after market alarm system. I don't believe that, I've had that alarm system in since I purchased the car new back in 99'. I don't know what the real problem is or was but I'm being charged about $1,000 to fix it.
#4225 of 5207 Parking Brake on Civic is Jammed
Sep 12, 2005 (3:20 pm)
Can anyone tell me how I can unjam the parking brake on my 2003 Civic DX? I left it sitting in the driveway for about a month and now the parking brake won't release even when I put the lever down.
#4226 of 5207 Trunk latch mechanism on 97 Civic not latching
Sep 13, 2005 (8:19 am)
After opening the trunk lid with the key, the lid wont latch. After trying to repair, and removing the electrical connector from the latch, the trunk open icon on the dash stays on even when the connector is plugged in. I still cant get the trunk lid to lock.
#4227 of 5207 Re: Parking Brake on Civic is Jammed [scott35]
by MrShift@Edmunds HOST
Sep 13, 2005 (10:49 am)
You can probably jack the car up, block it safely with good jackstands, and tap it free with a hammer at the place where the cables split to both wheels.
#4228 of 5207 Re: 96 Civic Power Window failure [jere39]
Sep 13, 2005 (1:31 pm)
Finallly had time to fix the window problem. For anyone with a similar problem, here is what I did. I have the P/W wiring diagram and finally found time to look it over.
1. Started at the relay under the hood. That looked fine.
2. Then went to the Relay under the dash. Had 12V hot on one of the large sockects and and 0V on all the rest.
3. Turned on the ignition to acc.
4. Now also had 12V Switched on one of the small connections for the relay.
5. Put the relay back in and leave the car ignition onto acc.
6. Test the driver's individual fuse socket for 12V that is coming from the relay.
7. Verify the fuse is good.
8. Now we go to the driver door. Remove the small gray plastic cover that is around the window switch/arm rest area.
9. Unplug the gray and brown harnesses.
10. On the gray harness connector, the Black/blue wire had 12v when the ignition was switched on.
11. Now, this stumped me for a little bit, but I knew it is something common to all of the windows, so I tested the ground wire (Solid Black or Black/Brown).
12. Ohm'd this out to the car and it showed an infinite resistance or a break in the wire.
13. After removing the door panel, I traced the ground wire back through the door to the hinge area between the door and car frame.
14. The wires were in a rubber tube to protect them. I pulled the rubber covering back from the door side and found the Black ground wire was broken.
15. To fix the problem, i simply cut the wire and attached it to the metal door because it would have been a pain to pull it out and resolder it. Everything works now, but you need to make sure you get the ground wire attached to a portion of the car that is grounded.
Your problem might be a litle different or a different wire might be broken, but these steps should help you at least diagnose where the problem is coming from.
If anyone has a similar problem and need more details or are confused, let me know. spydertech02yahoo.com.
#4229 of 5207 Re: Trunk latch mechanism on 97 Civic not latching [grumpy26]
Sep 14, 2005 (7:59 am)
I have been able to get the trunk latch to lock, however the trunk open icon on the dash comes on and there are three chirps when locking the car via the remote. I guess I'll have to play with the contacts on the latch to get the icon to go off. If anybody has any input on that, I would appreciate it.
#4230 of 5207 97 civic reduces speed + no pick up uphill
Sep 14, 2005 (9:32 am)
i have a 1.5 ils vtec civic having problems picking up speed mostley on 5th gear uphill on highway (on flat road its seems to be fine) for example if i am driving 80 mph on the highway an then i have to go uphill it will start reducing speed to about 65 mph. There is no pick up to the car even on the carriageways up slopes it does the same. The clutch seems to be fine, can anyone help i would appreciate this.
#4231 of 5207 99 honda civic won't start
Sep 14, 2005 (3:08 pm)
my 99 honda civic has 160000 miles, never gave me any problems before, till yeaterday. I could not start the car, the starter turns over, but would not crank over, had to tow it to the local repair shop. The mechanic thought it was the distributor, but that wasn't it. He now thinks it's the computer in the car, Has any one of you ever heard of computer going out on 99 honda civic? He won't order the computer, because, if that is not the problem, he can't return the computer, so they towed it to the Honda dealer today. I have to wait till tomorrow to find out what is worng with it. I need some Help, Please.
Sep 15, 2005 (2:07 pm)
ok. i did something that im not really too proud of to my '05 honda civic coupe. i was messing around with the steering wheel, and i dropped a quarter inside it. like, in between the cover plastic outside part and the inside part, where the actual horn is. now, when i turn, it sometimes honks, and i get weird looks from other cars around me. i can hear the quarter rolling around inside the wheel, and it is just killing me that i cant get to it. my question is this: is there a way to take of the outter part of the steering wheel so i could get to the quarter? it is bugging me sooo much. and i feel sooo dumb about it. please help me if u know anything about how i should take care of it. thanks
#4233 of 5207 Re: 1998 Civic LX O2 sensor code [craigmay]
Sep 15, 2005 (3:07 pm)
I am having the same issue. Did you get a response as to which sensor needs to be replaced???