Last post on Oct 17, 2006 at 8:05 AM
You are in the Honda Civic
What is this discussion about?
Honda Civic, Honda Civic del Sol, Honda Civic CRX, Coupe, Hatchback, Sedan
#4220 of 5207 Re: Timing belt + other maintenance? [darthken]
Sep 12, 2005 (7:19 am)
Correct. I base that on the techical data that comes on Honda's web site, owners manual and shop manual. Age and operation and sometimes bad or good luck can and does have some effect. Again one of the checklist items (technical data) is to actually inspect the timing belt. Yes it can be pretty bad if it does break down.
#4221 of 5207 Door Ajar indicator
Sep 12, 2005 (7:50 am)
I just bought a 05 Civic LX and took it home and noticed that there is no DOOR OPEN/AJAR dash board indicator . Also there is no warning if the passenger side seatbelt is off. Any idea if this is standard for the model? This looks like a safety hazard if there is no warning when the door is open. Haven't seen a car without it which I think is a standard safety feature in all recent cars.. The car does not have an alarm installed if that has anything to do with it. I am feeling really bad about this. Wonder if there is any way possible I can "return" the car and get the money back. I financed it.Except for these problems the car is great.
TIA for the inputs and suggestions.
#4222 of 5207 Re: Door Ajar indicator [rjc5]
Sep 12, 2005 (9:39 am)
there is no small mimic showing the state of the doors and the trunk?
#4223 of 5207 Re: Door Ajar indicator [user777]
Sep 12, 2005 (12:08 pm)
No, Haven't seen anything yet. I am going to try again
#4224 of 5207 Re: 1999 Honda Civic - 103K miles - Electrical Burning Smell, et al. [ejc1999civic]
Sep 12, 2005 (1:34 pm)
I also have a 1999 Honda Civic EX with 56K miles. I have the same electrical problem you described. In fact at one point, smoke started coming out of the steering wheel column, that's when I brought the car in to the dealership. They tell me it's because I have after market alarm system. I don't believe that, I've had that alarm system in since I purchased the car new back in 99'. I don't know what the real problem is or was but I'm being charged about $1,000 to fix it.
#4225 of 5207 Parking Brake on Civic is Jammed
Sep 12, 2005 (4:20 pm)
Can anyone tell me how I can unjam the parking brake on my 2003 Civic DX? I left it sitting in the driveway for about a month and now the parking brake won't release even when I put the lever down.
#4226 of 5207 Trunk latch mechanism on 97 Civic not latching
Sep 13, 2005 (9:19 am)
After opening the trunk lid with the key, the lid wont latch. After trying to repair, and removing the electrical connector from the latch, the trunk open icon on the dash stays on even when the connector is plugged in. I still cant get the trunk lid to lock.
#4227 of 5207 Re: Parking Brake on Civic is Jammed [scott35]
by Mr_Shiftright HOST
Sep 13, 2005 (11:49 am)
You can probably jack the car up, block it safely with good jackstands, and tap it free with a hammer at the place where the cables split to both wheels.
#4228 of 5207 Re: 96 Civic Power Window failure [jere39]
Sep 13, 2005 (2:31 pm)
Finallly had time to fix the window problem. For anyone with a similar problem, here is what I did. I have the P/W wiring diagram and finally found time to look it over.
1. Started at the relay under the hood. That looked fine.
2. Then went to the Relay under the dash. Had 12V hot on one of the large sockects and and 0V on all the rest.
3. Turned on the ignition to acc.
4. Now also had 12V Switched on one of the small connections for the relay.
5. Put the relay back in and leave the car ignition onto acc.
6. Test the driver's individual fuse socket for 12V that is coming from the relay.
7. Verify the fuse is good.
8. Now we go to the driver door. Remove the small gray plastic cover that is around the window switch/arm rest area.
9. Unplug the gray and brown harnesses.
10. On the gray harness connector, the Black/blue wire had 12v when the ignition was switched on.
11. Now, this stumped me for a little bit, but I knew it is something common to all of the windows, so I tested the ground wire (Solid Black or Black/Brown).
12. Ohm'd this out to the car and it showed an infinite resistance or a break in the wire.
13. After removing the door panel, I traced the ground wire back through the door to the hinge area between the door and car frame.
14. The wires were in a rubber tube to protect them. I pulled the rubber covering back from the door side and found the Black ground wire was broken.
15. To fix the problem, i simply cut the wire and attached it to the metal door because it would have been a pain to pull it out and resolder it. Everything works now, but you need to make sure you get the ground wire attached to a portion of the car that is grounded.
Your problem might be a litle different or a different wire might be broken, but these steps should help you at least diagnose where the problem is coming from.
If anyone has a similar problem and need more details or are confused, let me know. spydertech02yahoo.com.
#4229 of 5207 Re: Trunk latch mechanism on 97 Civic not latching [grumpy26]
Sep 14, 2005 (8:59 am)
I have been able to get the trunk latch to lock, however the trunk open icon on the dash comes on and there are three chirps when locking the car via the remote. I guess I'll have to play with the contacts on the latch to get the icon to go off. If anybody has any input on that, I would appreciate it.