Last post on Aug 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM
You are in the Mercedes Benz M-Class
What is this discussion about?
Mercedes-Benz M-Class, Mercedes-Benz ML55 AMG, SUV
Dec 18, 2002 (12:12 pm)
Buy one of these SUV's. I bought a 99 brand new and ended up having to give it back to the dealer after less than a year because of numerous problems. I thought it was an aberration so I got a 2000. To date, there have been 13 malfunctions on the vehicle, ranging from minor annoyances (cruise control quit, heated seat quit, etc.) to more major things (key won't go into the ignition, and today, power steering just quit). I can't keep the vehicle running long enough to sell it.
My advice is, to save yourself lots of $$$ and headaches, go buy yourself a Kia Sportage and tape a Mercedes star to the front of it. You will then have the Mercedes ML "look" on a vehicle that will run a good portion of the time, and for maybe a third of the cost.
Best of luck.
#6771 of 8199 Questions on 2003 350
Dec 18, 2002 (12:12 pm)
Hi there, been a lurker for some time, and now have some questions on the 2003 ML 350 which my wife and I are now considering when our 2000 RX 300 comes off lease in late Feb.
1) How difficult is it to remove the standard stereo (not Bose and no Navigation --I will order the car this way) and replace with aftermarket equipment. Has anyone done this? and has anyone put a CD changer under the front seat. In the back is useless to us (on the RX 300 it is in the glove compartment). Also seems like a standard DIN head unit would fit up front. Is this the case??? (Not trying to be a snob, but if we buy, we do plan on keeping for some time and since I do have aftermarket Alpine and Boston Acoustics in my other car I know how much better aftermarket can be compared to Bose)!
2) I plan on buying not leasing and holding onto the vehicle for some time....any thoughts on Xenon headlamps??? If I do hold onto the ML for a long time will I be the only MB owner in the future without them?? as I am assuming as time goes by they will be more prevalent.....
3) I read on a Edmunds review a while back that the air re-circulation switch automatically resets to open the vent after it has been closed for over 30 minutes. This could be a major issue for me as I live in northern NJ, frequently drive in traffic and on interstates, and prefer not to breath fumes every half-hour as a reminder to close the vent. Can this control be reset at the dealer???
4) Extended Warrantee or not ??? If I get an extended warrantee it will be from MB....
5) Did anyone get the inspiration package, how is the leather different???
Thanks in advance??? Rob
Dec 18, 2002 (12:13 pm)
My ML has 28,000 miles on it and the brake warning light is on. 28,000 miles??? And a fourth of that has been hauling it back and forth to the dealer (250 miles each way) to the dealer for fixes!!!
#6773 of 8199 About the Inspiration package
Dec 19, 2002 (11:34 am)
On the way to the Acura dealer last night we somehow ended up leasing a ML350 with the Inspiration package. A long story with a happy ending. The "Inspiration" leather adds stitching, white stitching on black leather for our silver. The center arm rest is also covered w/ leather as oppossed to plastic. Every silver ML350 available had the Inspiration, which made it any easy decision and only added $9 to the monthly.
Dec 20, 2002 (2:11 pm)
It's very easy to remove the radio (MCS). All you need is a pair of the removal keys. I believe they sell this in the dealer for somewhere around $20. You can get a set from eBay for about $10.
#6775 of 8199 Integrated Phone on ML350
Dec 22, 2002 (12:35 pm)
Does anyone have any advice on the integrated phone for the M Class? I am in the process of buying an ML 350, and I am trying to decide if the voice recognition option is worth the extra money.
#6776 of 8199 Integrated Phone on ML350
Dec 22, 2002 (2:24 pm)
I don't have the voice activated phone on my ML but I do have it on my E430. I love it and it is so convenient especially with more and more states mandating that hands free phones be used in lieu of hand held. Whether it's worth the added cost is a personal decision. It is a lot of money but that call can only be made by you.
I hope that this helps.
Dec 23, 2002 (9:02 am)
In an earlier post I mentioned how much I like my ML, etc, etc. Well, when I finished my 2000 mile trip recently, I did notice that I had a squeak in the dash. I've had the ML for a year on Dec. 15th. I took it in because I wanted to have mud-flaps installed and I told them about the dash squeak. They told me that Mercedes has a bulletin on this and that the squeak is actually coming from the hood area, not the dash. So, they will remove the hood, take it to a body shop to have brackets welded on and re painted (the underside not the top of the hood). The service guys said this will remedy the squeak. I sure hope so because I really like the vehicle and don't want any trouble.
Anyone else heard of this remedy? Mark
#6778 of 8199 Steering is very tight
Dec 24, 2002 (10:25 am)
Looks like the power steering on my ML430 is dead. I have to really turn the wheel hard to make the simplest of turns. Backing out of a parking spot is a nightmare. It just happened today out of the blue. I called my dealer and they said since this is Christmas eve, they can't help me and told me to call Roadside assistance! I will do so. meanwhile I am wonderng has anyone experienced this? Thanks.
#6779 of 8199 Power Steering Failure
Dec 24, 2002 (11:28 am)
My power steering on my 99 ML430 has been trouble prone since 8000 mi (now has 42k). Last week my dealer finnaly fixed it, by replacing both the pump and the reservoir. It seems there are baffles in the res. that keep the pump from cavitating, and introducing air bubbles into the system, which can lead to failure. Hope this helps