Last post on May 14, 2002 at 3:08 AM
You are in the Pickups - Archived Discussions
What is this discussion about?
Toyota Tundra, Truck
Join other Toyota truck enthusiasts in Edmunds.com Toyota Truck Owners Club!
#531 of 1322 Tundra listed as one of 25 worst vehicles
Jan 30, 2002 (12:58 am)
Top 25 Best and Worst Vehicles
The Center for Auto Safety analyzed complaints made to the government by Americans having problems with their vehicles. Below are the models that received the fewest complaints, and those that received the most. Models introduced in 2000 and 2001 are not represented due to a lack of data.
Best (Fewest complaints) Worst (Most complaints)
1. Ford F-Series 1. Mazda MPV
2. BMW 3 Series 2. Kia Sportage
3. BMW 5 Series 3. Ford Excursion
4. Volkswagen Golf 4. Ford Windstar
5. Mazda Truck 5. Mercury Cougar
6. Volvo C70 6. Volvo S40
7. Volkswagen Beetle 7. Honda Passport
8. Nissan Sentra 8. Honda S2000
9. Infiniti G20 9. Mitsubishi Eclipse
10. Acura RL 10. Isuzu Rodeo
11. Saab 9-5 11. Ford Explorer
12. Chevrolet Prizm 12. Land Rover Range Rover
13. Toyota Corolla 13. Audi A6
14. Infiniti QX4 14. Hyundai Tiburon
15. Nissan Altima 15. Honda Odyssey
16. Lexus RX300 16. Lincoln LS
17. Nissan Maxima 17. Jeep Grand Cherokee
18. Acura TL 18. Volkswagen Passat
19. Saab 9-3 19. Buick LeSabre
20. Pontiac Bonneville 20. Suzuki Grand Vitara
21. Mazda Millenia 21. Chevrolet Blazer
22. Mazda 626 22. Chevrolet Impala
23. Lincoln Town Car23. Toyota Tundra
24. Ford Focus 24. Dodge Dakota
25. Honda Accord 25. Dodge Neon
#533 of 1322 Tundra problems
Jan 30, 2002 (1:47 pm)
Just bought a 2002 Tundra, extended cab model. Was wondering if anyone is having problems with new models brakes. They seem to chatter or vibtate when stopping. Also receive a slight "clunk" from the rear end after the truck comes to a stop. More troubling is a very unsmooth shift in the automatic transmission when shifting.Truck only has 600 miles on it and it has not gone in yet for a check up. Anyone else having these problems. How about lousy gas mileage. Only 11-12MPG around town. Thank you
Jan 30, 2002 (3:16 pm)
I believe all those issues are documented on www.tundrasolutions.com. You can get more specific help over there then you will here.
Jan 30, 2002 (8:54 pm)
the brakes were a known problm on the 2000 model and some of the 2001. There has been no report of brake problems on late 2001 and 2002 models.
As for the tranny clunk, I get that when I stop suddenly on occasion. You can resolve this by greasing the area where the drive shaft exits the tranny.
I get 15 mpg in mixed driving with towing included. The general average for Tundra drivers is 16 mpg.
#536 of 1322 What did they do to fix the warping brake problem?
Jan 30, 2002 (10:13 pm)
My 2001 had the rotors turned and the pads replaced 2 times now. I don't believe Toyota has solved this problem, even for the 2001-2002 yrs.
Jan 31, 2002 (8:26 am)
I noticed the hard shifting in my truck early on also. The 2-3 shift was fairly abrupt. For some reason it got smoother as I put more miles on it. When I brought the truck in for its first oil change at 5,000 miles I mentioned the shifting problem and they said they adjusted it but it didn't seem to make any difference. It is very smooth now though with close to 30k miles on it.
Jan 31, 2002 (2:21 pm)
Do you use the parking brake everytime you park your truck?
#539 of 1322 Tundra Problems
Feb 02, 2002 (4:31 pm)
why did you ask if I use the parking brake everytime I parked the truck??
Feb 02, 2002 (5:33 pm)
If you read Ndahl's post, you will see that he addressed his question to mfaud.