Last post on Sep 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM
You are in the Smart Shopper
What is this discussion about?
Certified Used (CPO)
Mar 24, 1998 (6:19 pm)
Does anyone have experience with "Auto Nation" warranties on used cars? How do these warranties compare with a dealer's warranty?
Mar 25, 1998 (1:14 am)
Snap_dragon, I believe that AutoNation offers a 99 day / 3,300 mile bumper-to-bumper limited warranty from the date that you purchase your used vehicle. AutoNation also offers a 7-day / 300 mile, money-back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied. You can purchase an optional service contract through AutoNation, but this does not cover parts replacement due to what they call "normal wear and tear."
AutoNation has a one-price, no haggle policy on all retail purchases. Buying from AutoNation costs a little more than if you bought your car from a lot or from an ad in the paper, but they are very selective about their vehicles. All of them must be less than 5 years old and have less than 75,000 miles. They are all put through a comprehensive 165-point certification that is performed by an ASE-certified technician.
#4 of 696 What's my car worth???
Jul 16, 1998 (6:24 pm)
This doesn't appear to be a very popular topic area but I'll ask my question anyway.
I have a 1987 Toyota Celica with 136,400 miles on it. The brakes are bad. The left blinker is troublesome, but works with effort. There is some rust but not a huge amount. There is a pretty significant dent on the right side by the back wheel. The tires are good, not great. The engine is great, but there may be a slight oil drip. The windshield is full of little pock marks. Am I forgetting anything? Oh yeah, there are a bunch of really cool bumper stickers on it.
I'm picking up a new car tonight and asked the dealership what they'd give me for my Celica. At first they said $250. "WHAT???" Then they said $300. I asked a friend of mine who knows cars and who knows my car what he thought it was worth. He thought maybe $400 and he said he'd give me that for it. It sure seems like this car is worth more than that but I have no idea how much more.
Edmund's doesn't price cars as old as mine. The Kelley Blue Book lists $830 as a trade-in price for my car in fair condition. I consider my car less than in fair condition, but not almost $600 less! The Blue Book for buying my car is about $3,200 but that's for a car in excellant condition sold by an outfit that has spent the time and money to recondition it.
My dad says I should be able to get $900 for it but that's based on his gut and his being my dad and not wanting me to sell it for a penny less than what I can.
So I don't know where to get a fair value assessment for my car if I were going to sell it myself. Aside from advertising it and seeing what offers I get, is there an easier way? Please hurry, my friend is waiting!
#5 of 696 sue1
Jul 16, 1998 (8:41 pm)
I just realized that maybe this is the wrong place to seek this information. Where better is there?????????
Jul 16, 1998 (9:45 pm)
You actually should post your question in the Edmund's Smart Shopper's Conference. This would be a much more appropriate forum for this sort of question. Please click here to go there: Smart Shoppers Conference.
Replies to this message:
- unknown (Oct 22, 2003 11:03 am)
- lokki (Jul 20, 2000 2:16 pm)
- lokki (Jul 21, 2000 2:55 pm)
- CarMan@Edmunds (Jul 23, 2000 11:27 am)
- brucec35 (Aug 11, 2000 3:46 pm)
- someyak (Aug 22, 2000 6:05 pm)
- ventoman (Sep 20, 2000 5:26 pm)
- dhanley (Oct 09, 2000 2:53 pm)
- abeali (Oct 27, 2000 4:19 am)
- dhanley (Oct 30, 2000 9:12 pm)
- dustytrails (Nov 24, 2000 2:24 am)
- parkchester (Dec 23, 2000 9:19 pm)
- lokki (Dec 26, 2000 2:36 pm)
- bagginz (Dec 29, 2000 8:30 pm)
- lheller (Oct 22, 2003 11:03 am)
- lheller (Feb 02, 2001 3:46 pm)
- MrShift@Edmunds (Feb 03, 2001 4:51 pm)
- bgabel1260 (Feb 03, 2001 6:31 pm)
- q45man (Feb 04, 2001 2:04 am)
- MrShift@Edmunds (Feb 04, 2001 7:29 am)
- madfoot (Oct 22, 2003 11:03 am)
- madfoot (Apr 21, 2001 4:06 pm)
- 0patience (Apr 21, 2001 4:10 pm)
- madfoot (Apr 21, 2001 4:15 pm)
- isellhondas (Apr 22, 2001 6:34 am)
- rroyce10 (Apr 22, 2001 7:38 am)
- 0patience (Apr 22, 2001 5:38 pm)
- jelliot2 (Apr 23, 2001 9:03 am)
- audia8q (Apr 23, 2001 2:59 pm)
- isellhondas (Apr 23, 2001 4:05 pm)
- rroyce10 (Apr 27, 2001 1:06 am)
- isellhondas (Apr 27, 2001 4:46 am)
- rroyce10 (Apr 27, 2001 7:52 am)
- blackcurrant (Apr 28, 2001 12:24 pm)
- isellhondas (May 02, 2001 7:42 am)
- sr_body (May 09, 2001 12:02 pm)
- CarMan@Edmunds (May 09, 2001 12:44 pm)
- prophet2 (May 09, 2001 5:07 pm)
- sr_body (May 09, 2001 5:32 pm)
- rroyce10 (May 09, 2001 6:05 pm)
- im_brentwood (May 10, 2001 9:07 am) and 248 more...
#7 of 696 BMW Certified PreOwned Progam -Opinions/Experience?
Oct 22, 2003 (11:03 am)
#8 of 696 Is it worth the extra bucks?
Jul 20, 2000 (2:16 pm)
Toying with the idea of dumping the Integra and
getting the 328i an older sister (Literally older).
Just starting shopping for a coupe and haven't
gotten serious yet. Tried to find out from BMW
USA's website what you get for certified pre-owned
car, but their site doesn't list any details at
all, even in the owner's circle. Can anybody tell
me what kind of a warranty you get (say on a 97
coupe with 50K miles) that is certified? Any
opinions as to whether it's worth the money they
want for certifying one? What about an aftermarket
warranty instead? How are they on bang-for-the-buck
as a substitute? Something nice about having the
dealer hold the warranty I think...
I'd appreciate any comments..... Thanks
#9 of 696 Thanks This is exactly what I wanted
Jul 21, 2000 (2:55 pm)
I appreciate this very much. I went to the BMWUSA site, and even joined the "owner's circle" but couldn't find the details of the certified pre-owned package that you have so graciously printed above for me. My error obviously. I did request the information by mail, but didn't want to wait for the info.
It seems like a reasonable enough warranty plan, although I haven't done any price shopping to see how much extra they think it actually adds to the value of a car.
Jul 23, 2000 (11:27 am)
Lokki, I'm glad that this is what you were looking for.
Smart Shoppers / FWI Co-Host